It’s time for summer camp at last! Camp Gosh Yarn It! returns for its second season this June, July, and August. Registration for June is now open. We’ve remodeled since last year so campers will have more project choices and more chances to win prizes as members of “bunks.” You’ll be assigned a bunk and stay in that group each month you participate.
This is a virtual camp; attendance at any camp activities at the shop is not required. Each month campers – knitters, crocheters, and weavers – can register one or more projects that must be completed before the end of the month. Projects need to be made with yarn purchased from our “camp store” between May 15 and August 23. You’ll save 20% on all your project yarn.
When you register, you’ll tell us which pattern you’ll be using, and we’ll keep track of the yardage of all of your projects. Everyone in the bunk that stitches up the most yardage by the end of camp will win prizes.
All campers completing their projects on time will be entered in monthly drawings for GYI gift cards and other awards. Also, all campers completing at least one project in all three months will be entered into another drawing for a GYI gift card.
It wouldn’t be camp without a few surprises, so check in often with our Ravelry Group discussion thread and Facebook for camp announcements.
A Camp Infirmary will be open for “first-aid” for ailing projects on the Thursday evenings when the shop is open until 8 p.m. (June 19, July 17, and August 21).
There are two options for 3-month-long projects, both of which will be shop KALs from June through August: Churchmouse Classics Easy Folded Poncho and Rowan’s current KAL, Pure Wool Worsted Mystery Afghan, a free pattern by Martin Storey on the website www.knitrowan.com. (See below)
• You may register by phone, email, on Ravelry.com in the GYI Group Summer Camp thread, or in person. When you register, you will declare the pattern you will be using.
• Projects must use a minimum of 300 yards of yarn. You may stitch more than one project per month. Yardage used in additional projects completed on time will count toward your bunk’s grand total.
• NEW RULE: All yarn used in your projects must be purchased at the 2014 Gosh Yarn It! Camp Store between May 15 and August 23.
• The Camp Store is open May 15-August 23. A 20% discount will be applied to yarn purchased for all registered camp projects. After completing a first project in any month, you may register additional projects and shop for yarn at the Camp Store.
• Camp discount of 20% may not be combined with any other discount. Frequent Buyer points will be awarded at the Camp Store but may not be redeemed on any camp purchase.
• A monthly project may be a set of items. For example, a set of coordinating mittens and a hat, using at least 300 yards, qualifies as a camp project. Also, multiple similar items, if registered together, also qualify as one project, e.g. two pairs of mittens, completed on time within the month.
• Registration opens May 15 for June Camp. You must register a first project by June 5 to be eligible for prizes.
• Registration opens June 14 for July Camp. You must register a first project by July 5 to be eligible for prizes.
• Registration opens July 15 for August Camp. You must register a first project by August 7 to be eligible for prizes.
• If you create a project page on Ravelry.com for your camp projects, be sure to include the tag campgyi14.
• Projects may not be cast on earlier than 12:00 am on the first day of the month and must be completed no later than 11:59 pm on the last day of the month.
• You must inform us of your completion date, either by visiting, calling, or emailing the shop. Alternately, you may post your completion date on the summer camp discussion thread in our GYI Group on Ravelry.com. If you finish on the last day of the month, you must notify us or post on Ravelry within 24 hours. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to leave a voicemail if you call after shop hours, 570-287-9999.
• You may swatch for your project before the first of the month.
We have selected three options for 3-month-long camp projects. They will be shop KALs from June through August, meeting on the Thursday evenings (June 19, July 17, and August 21) when the shop is open until 8 p.m. These projects would need to be started no sooner than June 1 and finished before August 31. All yarn must be purchased at GYI:
Pure Wool Worsted Mystery Afghan
by Martin Storey
Rowan Pure Wool Worsted; 18-19 balls
(free pattern available on knitrowan.com)
Isager Alpaca 2 Stole
(pattern available at GYI)
by Theresa Gaffey
Happy camping! Have fun!