BASIC INSTRUCTION & PRIVATE LESSONS:
Learn the knitting basics for free! We’ll supply needles and yarn and teach you the knitted cast on, how to knit, purl, and bind off. With advance registration, you may attend as many Knitting 101 classes you need until you’re ready for Knitting 201. Needles and yarn will be supplied for practice in class; 10% discount for purchase of needles and yarn for home practice.
May 16, June 20, July 25
KNITTING 201/Dustland Cowl
Once comfortable with the fundamentals taught in Knitting 101, you’re ready to learn other techniques you’ll use constantly. This 2-hour class covers the long-tail cast on, how to knit in the round on circular needles, and how to knit simple stitch patterns. How to read yarn ball bands, gauge, and fixing simple mistakes are also discussed. The class project is a cowl made from Stephen West’s Dustland Hat.
Materials: Copy of Dustland Hat (shown), available at GYI; 1 skein Berroco Ultra Alpaca or 218 yds. worsted weight yarn; 16″ US 6 / 4mm circular & 16″ US 7 / 4.5mm circular needles, stitch marker
June 11, July 9
What would you like to learn? Now you can design your own private lessons in knitting or crochet. You pick your project and/or the techniques you want to master, and we’ll be here to help! Register for a single hour-long lesson or save when you purchase two or more classes, which can be scheduled as needed on any day Open Classroom is offered. Want to work on the same project with friends? Groups of up to 3 can be accommodated at the same time.
Fee: 1 class – $15
2 classes – $27.50
3 classes – $40
May 20, June 17, July 8
May 28, June 25, July 23
PROJECT & TECHNIQUE CLASSES:
(1) 2 hour session: Saturday, May 16; 11:00am-1:00pm
The Vivid Blanket from Tin Can Knits is made up of 10” squares worked from the center out, thanks to the clever pinhole cast on. If you are already comfortable working with DPNs, you’ll really enjoy knitting Vivid’s pretty starburst design to make any size blanket or afghan. Seaming techniques will be demonstrated.
Materials: Copy of Vivid, available at GYI; Rowan Pure Wool, approx. 100 yds. per square, 1 set US 8 / 5mm DPNs
PROVISIONAL CAST ON & KITCHENER STITCH
(1) 90-minute session: Saturday, May 16; 2:00-3:30pm
The provisional cast on allows you to knit up from stitches made from waste yarn that is removed later to reveal “live” stitches that are then placed back on the needle to be knit in the opposite direction. The Kitchener stitch lets you graft an invisible seam between two rows of live stitches, such as a sock toe or joining flat knitting to make a cowl. Both techniques will come in very handy!
Materials: 50 yds. worsted weight yarn, US 8 / 5mm DPNs, darning needle
WRAP & TURN SHORT ROWS
(1) 1 hour session: Thursday, May 21; 11:00am-12:00pm
The wrap & turn short row is most designers’ go-to method for adding shaping to knitting. Master the “w&t” and see other short row methods demonstrated.
Materials: 50 yds. worsted weight yarn, US 8 / 5mm 24” circular needle, locking stitch markers
LEAF LACE SHAWL
(2) 1 hour sessions: Friday, June 5 & 19, 11:00am-12:00pm
Evelyn Clark’s Leaf Lace Shawl is an excellent introduction to lace knitting, with easy to read charts as well as line-by-line instructions, a simple all-over pattern repeat, and options to use lace through DK weight yarn.
Materials: Copy of Leaf Lace Shawl, available at GYI, 450 yds. (for small size, 33”x68”) or 850 yds. (for large size, 45”x90”) DK weight yarn, US 10 / 6mm 32” circular needle, locking stitch marker
RYE BABY SOCKS
(1) 3 hour session: Saturday, June 20; 1:00-4:00pm
Top-down Rye socks from Tin Can Knits, worked on DPNs, will teach you how to make a heel flap, turn a heel, work a gusset, and graft the toe closed – everything you need to know to become a sock knitter. For knitters with prior experience working on DPNs.
Materials: Copy of Rye, available from http://www.tincanknits.com/pattern-SC-rye.html, 150 yds. worsted weight yarn, US 3 / 3.25mm and US 5 / 3.75mm DPNs
BARLEY BABY HAT
(1) 90-minute session: Saturday, June 27; 11:00am-12:30pm
Learn to knit in the round on a baby hat in worsted weight yarn that starts on a circular needle and finishes on DPNs. Class pattern is Barley from Tin Can Knits.
Materials: Copy of Barley, available from http://www.tincanknits.com/pattern-SC-barley.html), 100 yds. worsted weight yarn, US 6 / 4mm 16” circular needle and US 8 / 5mm 16” circular needle and DPNs
GOSH YARN IT! CLASS POLICIES
To register or for more information, telephone 570.287.9999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- With the exception of Knitting 101, basic knitting skills are required for all our classes. You must know how to knit, purl, cast on, and bind off. If you’d like help mastering the fundamentals before taking a class, drop in on a free Knitting 101 session.
- 72 hours advance notice required for both class registration and withdrawal.
- Unless otherwise noted, supplies are not included in class fees.
- In-stock supplies for all classes may be purchased by class participants at a 10% discount. (We really appreciate your buying all your class supplies from us!)
- Classes are filled on a first come, first served basis. Payment is due when you sign-up. We accept reservations by telephone with payment by Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.
- A pre-paid class fee will only be refunded if more than 72 hours advance notice is given that you are withdrawing. If fewer than 72 hours notice is given, a refund will only be made if we are able to fill your space in the class with another student.
- Gosh Yarn It! reserves the right to cancel or reschedule classes that do not meet the required minimum enrollment of 3 students; class fees will be refunded or may be used to register for future classes. Any class cancelled due to inclement weather will be re-scheduled.
- A missed individual session of a class cannot be refunded or made up. We’ll be happy to try to help you catch-up on what you missed!