Can you believe it? Summer must be just around the corner. Lawn mowers are already buzzing, and they’re playing Mungo Jerry on the radio (I’m showing my age). Best of all, the fourth season of Camp GYI begins June 1, and the Camp Store opens Saturday, May 14!
This is “virtual camping” for yarn lovers, with the goal of starting and finishing at least one knit/crocheted/woven project each month, June-August. Campers save 20% on their yarn and can win prizes and GYI gift cards. We’ve kept last year’s successful Day Camp and Sleepaway Camp options, so you can either pick your own projects or join a monthly knit-along (KAL) and work on the same pattern with other campers. We’re very excited to have our three talented KAL counselors back with us again this year, Carolyn Kern, Shelly Strohl, and Tina Woodward. Each has chosen a KAL project for “her” month and will moderate her own KAL discussion thread in our GYI Ravelry group.
Yes, I have previews of Sleepaway Camp KAL projects! Carolyn’s KAL in June is all about hats; you’ll have your pick of five of her outstanding original designs.
Tina’s July KAL pattern is Sylvia Bo Bilvia’s spectacular Waiting For Rain shawl. It can be worked in one color…
…or two (or more) colors and be gorgeous either way. Short rows! Lace! Easy peasy garter stitch! This one has it all.
Shelly’s August KAL is Olivia, a sweet little cardigan, sized newborn – age 5, by Suzie Sparkles. It is worked in pieces and seamed, so is a great intro to this classic sweater construction method. There’s also a touch of lace and delicate picot edging. Shelly is even working on a boy-friendly version, tentatively to be called Oliver.
What would camp be without a few rules and regulations for everyone’s safety? This is the big one: all yarn used in your projects must be purchased at the 2016 Gosh Yarn It! Camp Store between May 14 and August 13. You may not be able to go stash diving, but Camp GYI will stretch your yarn dollars all summer long: campers receive a 20% discount on yarn purchased for camp projects.
When you register for one or more months and buy yarn at the Camp Store, we’ll ask you to declare which pattern(s) you have chosen and which month(s) you will be participating. Each month, when you opt to pick your own project we’ll sign you up for Day Camp. If you choose the KAL you’ll be enrolled in Sleepaway Camp. You can attend any combination of Day and Sleepaway Camps over the three months. Design your own camp experience!
Whether you vacay or staycay, summer is such a great time to indulge your love of the fiber arts. So sit back and relax – skip the mosquitoes, the blisters, and the damp sleeping bags. Enjoy luxurious virtual camping at Gosh Yarn It!
Finally, here is the fine print:
• Register in person, by phone, email, or on Ravelry.com in the GYI Group Summer Camp thread. You may register for one or more months at the same time, but you may register only one project at a time per month.
• All yarn used in your projects must be purchased at the 2016 Gosh Yarn It! Camp Store between Saturday, May 14 and Saturday, August 13. Yarn purchased for registered camp projects will be discounted 20%. The Camp discount may not be combined with any other discount. Frequent Buyer points will be awarded at the Camp Store but may not be redeemed on camp purchases.
• Qualifying projects must call for a minimum of 350 yards of yarn EXCEPT Carolyn’s Hat KAL in June.
• After completing a first project in any month, you may register an additional 350+ yard project and shop again for discounted yarn at the Camp Store.
• A monthly project may be a set of items. For example, coordinating mittens and a hat, using at least 350 yards total, would qualify as a single camp project. Also, multiple similar items, if registered together, would qualify as one project; e.g. three baby hats to be completed within one month.
• Each completed project will earn the camper a badge and an entry in a monthly drawing for a GYI gift card. Campers earning at least one badge per month for all three months of camp will receive one entry in our Campfire Grand Prize Drawing to be held Thursday, September 8, 2016.
• If you create a project page on Ravelry.com for your camp projects, please use the tag campgyi16 so everyone can enjoy seeing camp projects.
• Projects may not be cast on earlier than 12:00 am on the first day of the month and must be completed no later than 11:59 pm on the last day of the month.
• DEADLINES for reporting completion of your monthly project(s) are July 9, August 6, and September 8. Drawings for GYI gift cards will be held on those dates. You may notify us in person, by phone, email, or on Ravelry.com in the GYI Group Summer Camp thread.
• You may swatch before the first of the month.
Phone: 570-287-9999 (Feel free to leave a voicemail if calling after shop hours.)
PLEASE NOTE: The shop will be open regular hours during the summer. However, we will be CLOSED Saturday, May 28; Saturday, June 11; Saturday, July 2.
Happy camping, safe stitching, and have fun!