Our Play With Color Knit Along is just about to kick off! The star of this KAL is Rowan Felted Tweed:
Spun to a light DK weight, with 191 yards per 50 gram ball, it is a beautifully soft—not at all “picky”—tweed. The magical combination of 50% lightly-felted wool, 25% alpaca and 25% viscose blooms luxuriously after washing. It’s as much a gorgeous option for Fair Isle stranded colorwork as lace or garter stitch, creating a drapey, cosy fabric that’s still light and easy to wear.
- The KAL officially begins Wednesday, February 3 and ends Saturday, March 20—7 weeks!
- There are 5 patterns to choose from: Tiverton Cowl, 7 Color Scarf, Astrid hat, Lindgren mittens, and Pressed Flowers shawl,
- Save 10% at GYI when you buy 4 or more balls of Felted Tweed,
- Every GYI purchase of Felted Tweed during the KAL earns one chance in a drawing to be held March 20 for one of 3 copies of Modern Daily Knitting Field Guide No. 16: Painterly, which features 4 designs by Kaffe Fassett for Felted Tweed,
- Projects do not need to be completed by the end of the KAL on March 20 to qualify you for the drawing.
The Tiverton Cowl and 7 Color Scarf patterns are only available at GYI with a purchase of Felted Tweed. Antonia Shankland’s 7 Color Scarf calls for—you guessed it—7 colors/balls of yarn, but since this KAL is all about playing with color, there are infinite combinations of more/fewer colors and stripes you could create with this easy log cabin scarf…
The center panel is worked first in 3 colors, then stripes are added along the long edges, then a single stripe finishes off the short edges…
The cabled Tiverton Cowl is written for 4 colors/balls but also can be knit with stripes of fewer/more colors. It’s shown here in the yarn it was originally created for, the now-discontinued Classic Elite Tiverton Tweed. The new, more colorful Felted Tweed version will be pictured in the next post. I love the length of this cowl—it’s comfortable whether worn as a single loop or doubled for a warmer, closer fit.
Currently we have 13 colors of Felted Tweed in stock—plenty to play with! We’ve been promised a shipment of 13 additional colors will be sent next week from Rowan’s U.S. warehouse, with the final 5 colors from our order reaching us in early March. The supply of Rowan yarn from the U.K. has been severely disrupted by the pandemic, so we’re thrilled to have as many colors as we do for you to choose from!
Once the KAL begins on February 3, this is the place to come for video links for tutorials and hints for techniques used in all 5 patterns that we hope you’ll find helpful.