Call 570.287.9999 to get more information or register for a class
BEGINNER KNITTING & PRIVATE INSTRUCTION
Whether you’re just starting out or have a project or technique in mind, you can design your own class. Register for an hour-long session of private instruction, $15. Groups of up to 3 can be accommodated at the same time.
Events Search and Views Navigation
Make your first sweater a flattering wardrobe essential you’ll love wearing. This deceptively easy top-down cardigan is made entirely without seams. Two class sessions, October 14 & 28. Prerequisites: Know how to cast on, knit, purl, increase, decrease, and bind off. Materials: Worsted weight yarn (see pattern for yardages); 32” circular needle and DPNs in size to get gauge (US 8/5mm suggested); ring markers; waste yarn; copy of Iba pattern from Bonne Marie Burns (available from GYI).Find out more »
Ballard is an updated classic design that will introduce you to 2-color stranded knitting. Different techniques for holding yarn will be discussed, also gauge swatching for stranding and the theory of color dominance. With just a little practice, you’ll love your results. Prerequisites: Know how to cast on, knit, purl, increase, decrease, bind off, knit in the round, and read charts. Materials: Kelbourne Woolens Scout, 1 skein each of main and contrast colors; US 4/3.5mm and US 6/4mm 16” circular needles,…Find out more »
This simple but striking reversible 2-color cowl is a great first project to de-mystify the brioche technique of double knitting. Prerequisites: Know how to cast on, knit, purl, bind off, and knit in the round. Materials: Worsted weight yarn, approx. 200 yds each of two colors (dark and light); US 7/4.5mm or US 8/5mm 24” circular needle; ring marker, crochet hook, waste yarn, darning needle; pattern provided.Find out more »
You’ve probably never started a sock this way: provisionally cast on only half the number of stitches needed. How can this possibly work? But it does! Easy wrap-free German short rows both increase stitches and shape the toe at the same time. The heel is worked the same way in this fun new method for toe-up socks. Prerequisites: Know how to cast on, knit, purl, increase, decrease, bind off, and knit in the round, also prior experience knitting socks. Materials: Approx.…Find out more »
Suddenly your stitch count is off. Did a stitch drop? Did you miss a decrease or make one too many? In this class you will learn to identify stitches within knit fabric, count stitches and rows, and make repairs when needed. Once you can read your knitting, you can fix your knitting. Prerequisites: Know how to cast on, knit, purl, increase, decrease, and bind off. Materials: Approx. 25 yds light-colored worsted weight wool yarn; Size US 8 (5mm) needles.Find out more »
Second of two sessions. First session on Monday, October 14, 6:00-8:00pm.Find out more »
Mosaic knitting is as easy as slipping a stitch. Hunter Hammersen's clever Incise actually includes three different stitch patterns, but this class focuses on Hat B (shown on top, below), with a fun, repetitive mosaic design. A tubular 1x1 cast on will be demonstrated as an option for the brim. Prerequisites: Know how to cast on, knit, purl, increase, decrease, bind off, knit in the round, and read charts. Materials: Approx. 150 yards main color and 125 yards contrast color…Find out more »
Have you been avoiding patterns calling for seams or grafting? In this class you'll master the Kitchener stitch, mattress stitch, and other seams commonly called for in knitting. Prerequisites: Know how to cast on, knit, and purl, and bind off. Materials: Approx. 50 yds light-colored worsted weight wool yarn divided into 2 balls; Size US 8/5mm 24" circular needle and DPNs; darning needle.Find out more »
GYI CLASS POLICIES
- With the exception of Knitting 101, basic knitting skills are required to attend our classes. You must know how to knit, purl, cast on, and bind off. If you’d like help mastering the fundamentals before taking a class, please take our Knitting 101 instruction.
- Payment is due at registration. Fees are non-refundable unless class is cancelled by Gosh Yarn It! Class withdrawals will be accepted with 2 weeks advance notice and store credit will be issued for class fee. If less than 2 weeks notice is given, store credit will be given only if we can fill your space in the class with another student.
- Gosh Yarn It! reserves the right to cancel or reschedule classes that do not meet the required minimum enrollment of 3 students; class fees can be be refunded or held as store credit to be used for enrollment in future classes or private instruction. Any class cancelled due to inclement weather will be re-scheduled.
- Supplies for Knitting 101 are included in the class fee. Unless otherwise noted, however, materials are not included in fees.
- We really do appreciate your business and give participants a 10% discount on all in-stock supplies required for classes. To avoid disappointment with your finished product, we ask that you purchase all your class materials at GYI.
- Bring basic notions with you to class, including scissors, round and locking stitch markers, a small crochet hook (“fixer”), and a darning needle.
- Please purchase supplies and wind yarn prior to class. If this is not possible, please arrive in plenty of time before session begins to do so. A yarn winder and swift are available for student use.